Friday, August 28, 2015

Bighorn Sheep and Face to Face with a Bull Elk


Friday August 28, 2015      Day 31     Yellowstone N.P.,  Mammoth Campground, site 46

A really beautiful sunny 50o morning.  Stayed inside and published the 3rd day at Two Medicine.  Just made cereal for breakfast.
At 10:00 we hiked a portion of the Lava Creek Trail.  The trailhead is across the road from the campground.  It goes down into the Gardner Canyon and follows the Gardner River upstream.  After 3.5 miles it meets up with Lava Creek.  We just followed it about 2.5 miles (round trip) into the section where I normally fish the Gardner.  However, we were up on bluffs looking down into the meadow section, a view I don’t get when I’m down there fishing.


The trailhead.  Heading towards the canyon.
 
The Gardner River looking towards my fishing spot.
Add caption


Add caption

Had to go to Park’s Fly Shop in Gardiner to get a Yellowstone license.  It was $25 for 7 days.  On the way back on the North Entrance Road, we saw some bighorn sheep on the cliffs on the side of the road. 



 
  

Came back to the campground and made some hot dogs for lunch.  While doing this, the campground was full of elk wandering around eating the leaves or the willows around the campground.  We see this every year we come here.
Taken from inside the Oliver looking out dinette window.

A couple of cows on the hill just outside the camper.

Spike between us and site 47.

A cow eating the willows next to my truck.


I'm not an elk!

Spike in  the bushes across the rosad from our site.
Fished the Gardner from 14:00-17:00.  First time since last year.  Caught two cutbows on an ant pattern.  A cutbow is a cross between a cutthroat and a rainbow trout.  It looks exactly like a rainbow, with the red slit of a cutthroat on its throat.  I was walking to another section where I always do well and had to cross some of the channels as I made my way up river.  I crossed a section and as I got to the other bank, I looked up and there was the big daddy elk standing there about 20 feet from me, just staring. 
He was right in front of me!
I immediately, slowly backed away and he just stood there watching me, fortunately.  I decided to end my fishing for the day and go back to the campsite.

We did an old tradition that we started last year.  When we come to Mammoth, we go into Gardiner and have a pizza at the K-Bar.  Best pizza in all of Montana.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment