Sunday, August 9, 2015

Ashley National Forest, Lodgepole N.F.C.G. High Up In The Uinta Mountains


Sunday August 9, 2015   Day 12    Vernal Utah, Ashley National Forest, Lodgepole C.G., site 32

54 miles towing

 We finally left Dinosaur National Monument.  It was originally meant to be a one night stopover on the way to Flaming Gorge.  We really liked it there and kept extending our stay.  The scenery, hiking trails, exhibits, and campsite were all excellent. 

 We didn’t have far to travel today and we know there will be vacancies at the campground we are headed for so we took our time this morning.  I wrote the draft for Saturday’s post and sorted out the pictures for it while drinking coffee in front of the fire.   We left Green River campground at 10:00.  We had camped for six straight nights with no hookups.  The holding tanks were all full, but Green River campground has no dump station.  We would fill at Lodgepole on the way in, before setting up.

 Stopped at a 7-Eleven in Naples, UT (just east of Vernal on US-40) to top off gas, get a bundle of firewood, and a bag of ice.  Then went straight to the Lodgepole campground and set up on site 32.

 US=191 from Vernal to Dutch John near the Wyoming border is a designated scenic highway.  There were some long 8% climbs and descents.  The Oliver with full tanks and the loaded truck struggled somewhat up some of these grades.  That made me wonder if I should consider an F-250 with a PowerStroke Diesel.  I priced them and they are $8,000-$10,000 more than a comparably equipped F-150.  The F-150 has a tow rating of 7,000 lbs. and the loaded up Oliver is about 5,500 lbs.  But I don’t know if they take into consideration 8% grades for 7 miles.  It has no problem going back down.  I always downshift.  I avoid brakes if I can because I’ve seen brakes catch on fire on cars coming down from a mountain who ride the brake all the way down.  There are hairpin turns with 20 mph speed limit at the bottom of long descents.  So you really have to pay attention.  Marsha was happy they had guard rails on this highway.

 It topped out at 8400 ft.  The campground was a few miles past the summit and is at 8080 ft.  Green River was just under 5000 ft.  So we climbed about 3000 ft. in a little over 50 miles, actually 30 miles because we didn’t start climbing until after Vernal.  And the gas milage reflected that.  I got 9.2 mpg on the way here, the worst of the trip, or ever.  Best towing milage of the trip was 12.4 mpg on the way to North Sterling State Park across the Colorado desert.

 After we arrived here at 11:30, it started sprinkling and then turned to rain.  There was blue sky to the west, but rain and clouds to the east.  There was even sporadic thunder and lightning.  The temperature was only 62o and within an hour it was 52o.   The rain lasted several hours, then the sun came out and all was well the rest of the day.  However, it didn’t warm up.  I had my fleece and my hoody sweatshirt on to try to stay warm.  Later in the evening we made a fire to hang out around.  We even made hot chocolate in the afternoon (with some Carolan’s in it).  We spent the rainy afternoon catching up on blogs and I input all my accumulated receipts into Quicken.  We have a 4 bar cell signal here, but only 1X data.  I was still able to post a draft of Saturday’s blog, but still have a few more pictures to upload, which is agonizingly slow at 1X speed.

 Here are a few pictures of our campsite:
 

 
 
 New issue.  Actually old, but is more of a problem now.  When towing, the truck alternator is supposed to charge the trailer batteries.  The Oliver batteries have not been charging while we drive.  This is not an issue when hooking up every night, but when camping without electric, the battery gradually runs down.  We have a solar panel which works quite well, but our site at Green River was quite shaded and there were a few cloudy days.  But we were OK for the three days we were there, but we ran the battery down to 12.1 volts, from fully charged at 12.7 volts.  Where we are now has no electricity either.  We are also shaded or clouded here.  So after I got here, I brought out the big guns, the Yamaha 2000 portable generator.  It had us charged up in an hour.  It runs very quiet and uses very little gas, but I only use it if I have to because it upsets the peace and quiet of the forest somewhat. 

 Warning!  Technical discussion to follow:

There is a 12V pin in the 7 pin connector that feeds the trailer.  Opposite that is the ground pin.  I checked the truck side between the charge feed and ground and got 13.1 volts.  The matching pins on the trailer yielded nothing.  But the charging pin to the tongue (ground) was 12 volts.  I checked the continuity from the ground pin to the tongue and there was none.  That tells me that the ground pin on the trailer pin is not connected to the trailer frame.  But everything else works, lights, brakes.  Must be grounding through the hitch.  More on this later.

 End of technical discussion.

Another beer observation. While eating at the Mexican restaurant yesterday, I had a Dos Equis Amber.  When it came to the table it was labeled as 3.2% alcohol by weight, not to exceed.  So I’m still in the land of 3.2% beer.  I saw a State Liquor Store somewhere so that must be where you can buy the real stuff.

 I’m hoping to hear from the Ford Dealer in Vernal tomorrow to see if I can get in.  That will determine what we do tomorrow.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment