Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A Really Good Day at the Madison River


Tuesday August 25, 2015     Day 28    Baker’s Hole  2nd day

Coffee with a fire in the morning.  First one since August 15th when we were at Sacajawea.  Was 40o this morning which was a lot warmer than our previous locations.  Still need hat and gloves to sit outside.  We used our electric heat this morning for the first time since we have 30 amp power.  The refrigerator and hot water heater are also on electric, saving our propane.
Made a giant breakfast of bacon, eggs, and fried potatoes with diced onion and green peppers, all cooked outside. 

Bacon over the campfire.  Cooked the rest on the propane camp stove.
Tried to get the post published for 1st day at Two Medicine, but internet was too slow for the pictures to upload.  We have 3G, but at times it is too slow to be of any use.  So you readers will have to wait.

Went into West Yellowstone to Madison River Outfitters, one of my favorite fly shops.  Picked up a non-resident Montana 2 day fishing license for $15 plus a one-time $10 conservation fee.  If I need to re-up, I just pay the $15 next time. 

Drove north on US-287 to the West Fork access of the Madison River.  It is about half way to Ennis, a 35 mile drive from Baker’s Hole.  I have fished that part of the river since 1993.  I parked up on a bluff, and walked a mile across a sagebrush flat to a section of the river across from a cliff.  Always have done well in this section and it’s worth the effort to get there.  Had an excellent fishing day.  A hopper and a dropper didn’t work.  I switched over to the hot fly, a Purple Haze.  It doesn’t look like anything, but the fish like it, at times.  I got two 10” rainbows on it.  When it slowed down, I put on a pattern mimicking cinnamon flying ants.  Yes, they have them out here.  I had a nice one on, but the knot gave out and he swam away with it.  Tied on another and caught a 16” brown trout, a very nice fish.  Biggest one I’ve caught in years.  I then tied on a size 14 Adams parachute and got a lot of hits, but kept missing them.  Finally I landed a 14” rainbow that I fought for 15 minutes before I had him in the net.  Lots of dry fly action which is what most fly anglers enjoy because you can see the fish take the fly.  I tried nymphing with no luck.  I fished there from 13:00 to 16:00 and walked back to the truck.  It was a great day fishing.
The rickety iron bridge that crosses the river.
 

Looking downstream from the bluff where I parked.

Looking upstream from the bluff where I parked


Walking across the meadow towards the fishing
 hole in front of the cliff.  Note the bear grass.

A closer shot of the cliff I fished in front of.
The 16" brown trout (actual measurement).
Got back to the campground at 16:45 and had “the cocktail hour” with cheese & crackers and Moose Drool.  Made barbeque boneless pork chops with my famous vegetable medley.  We later walked around the campground and along the Madison River as it got dark.

2 comments:

  1. Crossroads around Ennis has hot spring hot tubs you can rent. Also if you run into a fellow by name of Bruce Richards he is a friend of mine, Kreple, Coddington, wing. Lives around Ennis and used to work for Scientific Angler as engineer plus a fly fisherman author. Look him up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave. We have no plans on going to Ennis on this trip, but I will look him up in the fly fishing literature. S.A., by the way, is a big name in fly fishing, noted for their fly lines. In fact I own some St.A. fly lines.

    ReplyDelete