Monday, July 18, 2016

A Relaxing Day at Tolsona Wilderness Campground


Day 29   Wednesday July 13, 2016                         Tolsona Wilderness Campground, site 17, day 3
No towing

Chose to stay another day at this campground so I could try fishing the creek with grayling and rainbow.  I bought an Alaskan fishing license.  It was $80 non-resident for two weeks, or $145 for the season.  So I got the seasonal.  The creek muddied up yesterday while we were at Wrangell-St. Elias.  I was hoping it was somewhat fishable.

The other reason to stay here was to catch up on the blog using their WiFi.  Got all my Fairbanks stuff completed. 
Started our day with my world famous camping bacon, egg, and, cheese sandwiches.  That’s why we stopped for bacon at the IGA on the way home last night.  It’s basically a grilled cheese sandwich with an egg in the middle, and four or five half slices of bacon on top of that.  The cheese glues it all together.   You have to be sure when you flip it, that you use the rotational axis that intersects the center of gravity or it will fall apart.  (I don’t get to talk engineering talk anymore, so I have to do it when I can.)

I fished the creek wearing shorts and my Crocs.


This is a view of the creek from the campsite.
Water was cold, but once you get numb you don’t feel it.  Fished right from the campsite upstream.  Tried four different dry flies and had several hits on every one of them.  My problem is that I’m too slow with the hook set and keep missing the hook-up.  Still had a wonderful time.  When I got back, I was chilled and was shivering and had to climb in bed with lots of blankets to stop.

We later took a ride to a scenic pullout about half way to Glennallen from the campground so we could make some phone calls.  Here’s some pictures of our view while we were in the truck using the phone

This was our phone booth.
There was a Thai food shack called “Tok Thai Food” that we got some carry out.  I didn’t like my No. 23  but Marsha liked her cashew chicken. The Tok Thai food truck in Tok was much better.

And last, here’s a picture of a junco hopping around our campsite.  We get these birds at our feeders all winter and in the spring they disappear.  Now I know where they go.



No comments:

Post a Comment