Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Two Days in Tok at Tundra RV Park


Day 56 Tuesday August 9, 2016               Tok, Alaska        Tundra RV Park, site 28, day 2
0 towing miles

It rained all night and day until late afternoon.  Couldn’t sit out, even under the awning.  It was cold and wet.  Worked on blog draft with our morning coffee.  Had cinnamon bun to hold us over.  At 10:30 went to Fast Eddie’s for breakfast.  Marsha had an omelet with reindeer sausage in it.  I had the Alaskan omelet which had everything, except reindeer sausage.
Stopped at the Tosoro station and filled one of my 20# tanks and my two small tanks I use for my grill and stove.

Filled truck, too, but with regular gas, not propane.
Came back to the trailer and gathered up all the laundry and all the sheets and pillow cases.  It was our biggest amount of laundry we ever did on one of our trips.  The Tundra RV Park has a laundry here right on site.  I felt sorry for Marsha having to make our king size bed without any room to walk around it.  You have to make it while your on it.  But she’s got it down pretty good,.

Then I spent the entire afternoon working on blogs and pictures.  We have a 3G signal at the campsite and I want to be caught up before we enter Canada.  It may be many days before we have an opportunity to post again.
Worked until 18:00, about five or six hours, then we went to Fast Eddie’s for the last time.  I wasn’t super hungry and just had the salad bar.  Marsha had a pepper jack hamburger and onion rings.

Made an evening campfire when we got back.  The weather was cool and the sky was clear and the sun was out.  A nice evening.
We were going to leave tomorrow, but decided to stay one more night.  A little more catching up to do and I want to burn up my last two firewood bundles before entering Canada.  Can’t take firewood into Canada.  Marsha still needs to get an Alaska T-shirt.



Day 57 Monday August 10, 2016                           Tok, Alaska              Tundra RV Park, site 28, day 3
O towing miles

Last night was a clear night, something rare around here.  I got up at midnight to go outside and look at the sky for the possibility of northern lights.  It is darker at night now than a few weeks ago.  I actually could see a few stars.  But no northern lights.  Here’s why I thought I’d give it a try.

When we were at Tangle Lakes and met Brandon and Beth, Brandon told me they got up one night to go to the outhouse and they saw the northern lights.  He was surprised because he thought it had to be real dark, but there they were.   Not as bright as usual, but still awesome.  Ever since he told me that, I’ve been wanting to check.  But we haven’t had a clear night since.  So last night, I gave it a try.  I will continue to do so on clear nights.  I really want to see the northern lights.  I saw them in 1988 in Traverse City and it was one of the most awesome things I had ever seen and have wanted to see them again ever since.

Being that the sky was clear, it was only 43o outside when we got up and 51o in the trailer.  We have a weather station with indoor and outdoor temperatures.

This is our last day in Alaska, sort of.  I’ll explain below.  But for now it was our last chance for souveniers.  There was a real nice place in Tok that had quality tourist stuff, not cheap T-shirts.  So Marsha got a an Alaskan sweatshirt, I got a T-shirt.  Marsha got her moose Christmas ornament that says Alaska on it and an etched wine glass with mountains and the word “Alaska”.  I had bought some T-shirts at other places. 

Got back to campground, made hamburgers.

Don’t have any pretty pictures to show you, not even a Ptarmigan.  But when I went to pay for another night at the office I took a picture of the place and our campsite.

Our nice campsite at Tundra RV Park. 
The sign out front. 

The office, and lounge.
You can tell it's a slow picture day.

We had a relaxing afternoon, a dinner of salmon and fried potatoes, and finished off our wood with an evening campfire.

Our plans for next week are to take the Alaskan Highway to Haines Junction.  Then take the Haines Highway down to Haines, AK for a couple of days and then return to Haines Junction up the Haines Highway.  From there we continue on the Alaskan Highway to Watson Lake.  From there we take the Cassier Highway south through British Columbia to Stewart-Hyder.  Stewart is on the Canadian side and Hyder is on the U.S. side.  Two small towns on the British Columbia-Alaska border along the Alaskan panhandle.  It will be the last time we step foot in Alaska for this trip.  There we can watch brown bears catch salmon in their mouth when the salmon tries to jump up waterfall (as seen on TV).

No comments:

Post a Comment