Monday, September 14, 2015

Last Day at Baker's Hole, Phase III, Last Day at Yellowstone


Monday September 14, 2015    Day 48    Gallatin N.F.  Baker’s Hole Campground, site 31, 4th day

This is our last day at Baker’s Hole, and the last day in the Yellowstone area.  We will start making our way home tomorrow. 
Low 30’s this morning.  Had coffee and breakfast in the electrically heated Oliver.  After killing some time with a leisurely morning, we headed to the West Yellowstone Town Park again to work on our blogs and try to catch up.  Went back to the trailer after a chilling hour at the park’s picnic table (ever try typing with gloves on?) 

Marsha made some hot chili to warm us up.  After lunch, I had to go fishing because it was my last day to do so.  I didn’t feel like taking the 45 minute drive to my Madison spot and then walk for 30 minutes, so I decided to stay closer.  I didn’t have a park license so that was out and I had to fish in Montana because I had one day left.  So I chose to go north on US-191 towards Bozeman and Big Sky and try the Gallatin River.  191 follows the Gallatin River almost all the way to Bozeman.  191 also enters a corner of the park and then comes out when it crosses back into the Gallatin National Forrest.  So I had to drive beyond the Yellowstone Park boundary to legally fish.

Not long after leaving the Park, you come to Taylor Fork Road.  It follows Taylor Fork, a major tributary creek to the Gallatin River.  Years ago, maybe 15, I have fished it (successfully for small cutthroats) on two occasions and had a great time.  So I drove up this unimproved bumpy mountain road for a few miles and found a spot that looked good.  I got nothing.  Here’s some excuses:  it was very windy, very cold, overcast, sprinkling rain, etc.  It wasn’t enjoyable.  I killed about one hour there.

Taylor Fork upstream.

Taylor Fork downstream.
Drove back down the bumpy road to 191 and pulled off at a two-track leading to the Gallatin.  I figured it must come to the confluence of the Taylor Fork and the Gallatin and it did.  The Gallatin was flowing along the base of a rock cliff in a high gradient resulting in rapids (I don’t know what class, I don’t kayak).  I tried nymphing along that section with no luck.  I killed about an hour here, too.  Was not enjoying myself on this gloomy day.

Gallatin looking upstream.

Gallatin looking downstream.
I had redeemed myself on the Madison yesterday and it really wasn’t necessary that I keep trying.  So I drove the half hour back to the campsite.  After a two hot dog dinner, an older couple stopped by our trailer to look at it.  They were tent campers and admitted they couldn’t afford our trailer, but wanted to see it.  They are considering a smaller Casita or Scamp.  So they didn’t talk long about the trailer, but got into fly fishing talk big time.  Him and his wife, George and Judy.  But she changed over to talking to Marsha about quilting. 
George grabbed me and we walked backed to his campsite and he handed me a 9 ft. 5 wt. Scott rod.  It is a premium rod made in Colorado where they were from.  I never casted a Scott.  It was awesome.  I casted it better than George did.  He walked me down to the river to show me how he successfully landed 20” fish at the river right outside his campsite.  He used soft hackle flies quartered and drifted down.  Some of the fly shops mentioned the use of soft hackles, but I have never used them with any success.  He showed me how to do it and handed the rod to me, coaching me every step of the way like a guide.  I had three hookups in about ½ hour, but didn’t have them on for more than a few seconds.  I jerked the rod when I felt the strike out of instinct and this pulls the fly right out of their mouth.  You have to let them take it and then run.  But the bottom line is, I learned a new technique, a successful technique for these big fish, and something to look forward to for next year.  It was getting dark and we left the water.

Since it was our last night, I will have to wait until next year to try what George taught me.
Packed up and got ready to leave early in the morning.
 
Marsha making that scarf while I fish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment